Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pecan biscuits and Paris

Lately I haven’t been as busy with the blog as I wanted to. I have had a well earned vacation and trip to Paris though...and it has been amazing! The weather has been great: sunny and not too cold. What else could you hope for? We stayed at the cutest apartment ever, in the Quartier Latin area and around the corner of Rue Mouffetard, which is a foodies’ paradise. There were bakeries with freshly baked baguettes, butcheries with the best dried sausages and spit roasted chickens, fresh fruits and vegetables everywhere and every other day a great market....


The breakfast ensemble in the picture is bought at ‘Le Petit Atelier de Paris’. A lovely little shop with a workshop inside; it is founded by two designers who make, design and sell their products in this little shop at the Marais district. They have wonderful products for a pleasant daily-life...and the cutest dog ever!

I will post some pictures and addresses of must-visit shops and restaurants sometime soon...

When I came back from Paris I immediately felt in need of baking something sweet, since it is almost impossible to find something sweet I am able to enjoy. Especially since the French love their cream and butter.
I just love nuts, and these pecan biscuits have a really nutty-flavour and aren’t too sweet.

Pecan biscuits

220 gram margarine
150 gram pecan nuts
50 gram fine Demerara sugar, plus 1 tbsp
300 gram spelt flour
Icing sugar, to decorate
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Place the pecans on a baking tray and roast them in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
Finely grind them with the tablespoon of sugar in a food processor. Leave them to cool completely.
Beat the margarine with the rest of the sugar until light and fluffy.
Fold in the flour, salt and ground pecans. Break of pieces of dough and shape into 3 cm balls. Place the balls onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until lightly golden.
Transfer the biscuits immediately to a wire rack and dust them with icing sugar.


1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed your time in Paris. I wish I could go back! I only was there for a week over the summer but it feels like there was so much more that I needed to explore.

    ReplyDelete